Thursday, October 1, 2015

Beginning the Adventure

In the year 2000, Adventureland Puppet Ministry came to be. However, how in this great big crazy world did we end up doing puppets? Let alone, how did I get involved when I was only 6 years old in 2000? Well, settle back in your seat and buckle your seat belts as we take a trip to the past to learn all about this ministry I am so blessed to be a part of. 

My mom has always been a fan of drama. So, whenever her and my dad decided that they wanted to start up a ministry, she thought that it would be a drama ministry. Although, God apparently had very different plans. My parents went to a seminar where they were looking for things relating to drama ministries. While looking around, my dad found a book about puppetry and had picked it up and flipped through it. After leaving the seminar, my parents got talking. My dad told my mom that he felt that God wanted them to not pursue drama, but to begin a puppet ministry instead. This was not what my mom had wanted to hear. She basically said, "A puppet ministry???!!!???" like most people would have done. Even though the idea seemed crazy, they pursued it. 
Whenever it came to naming the team, they thought a bit outside the box. They did not know if they would later on want to expand the ministry to something more than just puppets. So, they got thinking, and thinking, and thinking. They ended up coming up with Adventureland. Being that we have stuck with just puppetry up to now, we typically expand the name to Adventureland Puppet Ministry. 
So, I guess we should go a couple years into the future to where I actually got involved in the ministry. I was just 7 years old at the time. Typically, puppeteers had to be in 6th grade or older in order to join the team. However, since my parents were the directors of the team, I got to participate a bit sooner than most people would have gotten to. Obviously, with my being so young, I was more limited on what parts I got. I did props a lot at first. However, it was a great place to start and it has been a blast. 

Let's come back to the present now. We average 60 - 75 shows a year in 5 different states (however, we have performed in a total of 7 different states). My parents and myself are all still involved in the ministry. That being said, the ministry is not about us. It is all about of Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. 

Psalm 119:105
Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.   

********
To see the rest of the posts from this series please click here  

2 comments: